Subject: Smoke, fire, and water damage

Smoke, fire, and water damage

From: Catherine Higgitt <catherine.higgitt>
Date: Tuesday, May 15, 2001
I am trying to collate any available material relating to smoke,
fire and/or water damage to paintings (easel,panel or wall) and
archive materials (both paper-based and photographic). I am
interested in information of any sort that is available, including
personal experience/experiments. I am after information about both
the effects of smoke/fire/water on these types of objects and in any
possible treatment advice.

This request comes out of work I am doing related to disaster
planning and approaches and such information is possibly all already
well known or published--if this is the case I would be very
grateful for some directions. There appears to be much more material
available relating to library/archive collections than to
paintings/museum objects. Have other institutions approached the
problem of disaster planning in relation to their collections?

Catherine Higgitt
Scientific Department
National Gallery
Trafalgar Square