Subject: Wood surfaces

Wood surfaces

From: Michael Pearce <michael.pearce>
Date: Wednesday, May 9, 2001
Would anyone have an opinion on treating the surface of wood
destined for display in cases in museum conditions? We are going to
display a number of very old oak carvings which have apparently
never been waxed or painted. It is not our intention to apply a
surface treatment for any aesthetic reason; we would be interested
to hear if there is a non-aesthetic argument for applying any
surface coating for the sake of preventive conservation.

Michael Pearce
Conservation Scientist
Historic Scotland

                  Distributed: Thursday, May 10, 2001