Subject: Light sheet

Light sheet

From: Sharon Oldale <sharonoldale>
Date: Wednesday, May 9, 2001
Emrys Evans <emrys.evans [at] utoronto__ca> writes

>Our library is interested in acquiring some kind of light sheet
>device for examining the pages of bound books for watermarks, repairs
>etc. C.L.E. Design Ltd. of London, England manufactures two
>products; one is the MK2 Luminescent Light Sheet, the other is the
>Fibre Optic Light Sheet.
>
>I would be interested in DistList members' experiences/assessments
>relating to these pieces of equipment, or similar products by other
>manufacturers.

I used one of these light sheets for the purpose that you specify
whilst I was at college. Unfortunately I can't remember the brand
name. I found it a very useful tool. It was especially suited to
accurately tracing watermarks (through Mylar) for documentation
purposes.

The only drawback that I found was that the sheet emitted such a
tiny amount of light, I could only use it successfully in a
photographic dark room.

Sharon Oldale
Conservator
Cheshire and Chester Record Office