Subject: SCMRE

SCMRE

From: Penny Jones <pjones>
Date: Tuesday, May 8, 2001
I want to bring you up to date on activities surrounding funding for
SCMRE. The Board of Regents voted to accept Secretary Small's
recommendation to close SCMRE although some of the regents were
apparently very vocal in support of SCMRE. There is an article and
an editorial in favor of SCMRE in today's NY Times (See
<URL:http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/08/science/08SMIT.html> and
<URL:http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/08/opinion/08TUE2.html>) The
article includes a quote from AIC. In the May 7 issue of the NY
Times we had a Letter to the Editor written by Jerry Podany.

We will keep you posted on future activity. Thanks to all who wrote
letters to the Regents, Secretary. Small and Congress. We will now
focus on the Science Advisory Panel that Secretary Small is creating
and advocate for possible funding for SCMRE from Congress. Please
send me copies of any replies you received from letters you sent to
the Regents or Congress.

Penny Jones
Executive Director
American Institute for Conservation