Subject: ICOM-CC Working Group on Education

ICOM-CC Working Group on Education

From: Joan Marie Reifsnyder <jmreif>
Date: Saturday, May 5, 2001
The ICOM-CC Working Group on Education recently lost two of its most
dedicated members--Rikhard Hordal, our Co-ordinator, and Agnes
Timar-Balazsy, one of the assistant Co-ordinators. Both Rikhard and
Agnes made many contributions to the conservation field over the
years, in education, practice and research. They believed in the
importance of professionalization and in the role that education
plays both at the entry-level and throughout a conservator's
professional life. It is still difficult for us to express how much
Rikhard and Agnes meant to us as friends and colleagues. We plan to
dedicate the working group's session at the Triennial Meeting in Rio
de Janeiro to their memories.

At the same time, we have had to review the plans for the Interim
meeting that had been scheduled for 19-22 September 2001 in
Galaxidi, Greece. It was important to consider not only the papers
received, but also establish the status of the logistical
preparations and budget issues. This has taken some time to do, and
we thank everyone for their patience. We are now able to announce
that we have decided to postpone the Interim meeting in Greece.

The announced theme of the Interim: Innovation and Change in
Conservation Education will be a major theme for our working group
session at the Rio Triennial. There, we will also discuss the
possibility of linking a follow-up Interim--perhaps in 2003--to this
theme which is a very important one for our working group,
particularly with the increasing interested in educational
technology.

We would like to thank George Panagaris and his colleagues at TEI
for their interest in hosting the Interim Meeting and we look
forward to the possibility of visiting Greece for the next Interim,
when we may again take up the challenging topic of educational
innovation.

We would also like to thank the authors who sent in abstracts for
the Interim, and look forward to their contributions to future
meetings.

We hope that the working group's session in Rio will be a fitting
memorial to Rikhard and Agnes, and a strong testament to the
professionalism, dedication, and friendship that these two special
people have shared with us over the years.

Kathleen Dardes
Joan Reifsnyder
Tannar Ruuben
Assistant Co-ordinators