Subject: Environmental monitoring

Environmental monitoring

From: Robert Smith <robert.smith>
Date: Tuesday, May 8, 2001
Some time ago I posted a message offering some old
thermohydrographs. The response was overwhelming--both the number of
replies and their geographic spread--and I just wanted to thank all
those that did respond and to let them know that they went to a good
home.

While on the same subject I was very surprised to learn just how
many organization/institutions do not have any way of monitoring
conditions. In my experience this is the single most important
factor in the preservation and conservation of cultural property and
I just wanted to say that, if you do nothing else get some form of
monitoring going. It is of such enormous use in so many areas
ranging from funding to preservation and allows you to argue from a
position of strength.

Robert D. Smith
Head of Conservation
Royal Armouries