Subject: Protective shoes

Protective shoes

From: Ian Fraser <ian.fraser>
Date: Sunday, May 6, 2001
Isobel Griffin <igriffin [at] nts__org__uk> writes

>We will soon be opening a very fragile historic house to the public,
>and would like to obtain some protective shoes for visitors to wear
>over or instead of their outdoor shoes. Can anyone recommend a
>particular type, preferably with details of the supplier?

A company called Swiftec, in Manchester, can provide a wide range of
protective materials which are used in the construction industry.
Presently at Temple Newsam House we are using a number of their
products for protecting the historic interiors whilst building work
is going on.  One of the products in their catalogue is a disposable
slipper which slips over shoes/boots.  It may be suitable for your
purposes and I believe the National Trust for England and Wales use
them where they need to protect floors from the shoes of
visitors/contractors etc.  I can give you their phone number etc. if
you call me at work after Bank Holiday Monday, +44 113 2644913

Ian Fraser
Conservator of Furniture
Leeds Museums and Galleries
Temple Newsam House