Subject: Food and drink in the library

Food and drink in the library

From: Lydia C. Egunnike <l.egunnike>
Date: Thursday, May 3, 2001
I am sure this issue has been bought up many times before, so
apologies for repetition.I am currently struggling to implement a
workable way of enticing approximately 250 library staff not to eat
food and drink in their work areas. This strategy is part of an
overall IPM policy. Over the years a very lax attitude to food
consumption has developed in many work areas with the exception of
the Conservation Unit (of course) and some Special Collection areas.
I have created a zoning system with three risk levels.

    1.  Low: These zones are designated staff eating areas eg.
        tearooms and cafes.

    2.  Medium: Areas where food may be consumed  for special
        functions if approved by the State Librarian.  No original
        collection material should be stored or displayed during the
        function.

    3.  High: No food or drink can be consumed in these  areas under
        any circumstances. These areas include collection  storage
        and work areas as well as reading rooms and exhibition
        areas.

I have included all work areas (even those not handling collection
material) in this category. Implementing this appears to be
insurmountable at this stage. Basic pest management information
sessions will be available to all staff prior to implementing the
zoning. It is hoped that this will assist staff to understand and
co-operate. I was wondering if anyone has had experience in
successfully implementing such widespread cultural change within
their institution. Ways of ensuring ongoing adherence to the no
eating policy would also be great. I am resigned to my fate as the
resident "food fascist". There is a strict no eating and drinking
policy in place for library users so it seems hypocritical not to
have the same rules for staff. Any help would be gratefully
received.

    **** Moderator's comments: This topic has been discussed several
    times. Please see the DistList archives in Conservation OnLine
    http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/

Lydia Egunnike
Senior Conservator Preservation Services
State Library of Queensland
PO Box 3488
South Brisbane
QLD Australia 4101