Subject: In situ fumigation

In situ fumigation

From: Kasey Brewer <kbrewer>
Date: Wednesday, May 2, 2001
We have open dioramas in our galleries which are obviously an
exhibit maintenance headache.  Recently several natural history
specimens, including a bird, a prairie dog and some insects, have
become infested with dermestids.  While we can replace the insects,
most of the birds and other animals are permanently mounted in their
habitats.  Does anyone have ideas as to how we can fumigate these
specimens in situ without enclosing them in a bag of some sort for
weeks on end?  We have an integrated pest management program in
place which has worked well in the past, but these isolated
occurrences of infestation appear to be an ongoing fact of life.

Kasey Brewer
Conservator
Royal Saskatchewan Museum

                    Distributed: Friday, May 4, 2001