Subject: Odor

Odor

From: Tamara Clark <tclark>
Date: Monday, April 30, 2001
Richard C. Borges <dbumca [at] aol__com> writes

>Elizabeth Buschor, Senior Paper Conservator at the Upper Midwest
>Conservation Association, is treating several works of art on paper
>that have acquired a cigar-smoke smell.  She has tried a general
>airing out, in combination with lengthy exposure times to unscented
>kitty litter in a chamber.  The smell has not been completely
>removed.  Has anyone experienced a successful treatment in removing
>cigar-smoke smell?

Have you tried straight baking soda or a baking soda paste in a
chamber?  My husband is a pipe carver and tobacconist and we use it
frequently to de-odorize items we can't wipe down with watered down
vinegar.  I've never tried it on paper, but it might be worth a try.
It works for just about everything else.

Tamara Clark

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 1, 2001