Subject: Bleach

Bleach

From: David A. Tremain <david_tremain>
Date: Monday, April 30, 2001
Harold Holland <harold.holland [at] gnb__ca> writes

>Assistance will be appreciated in identifying any research that has
>addressed identifying appropriate concentrations of household bleach
>to decontaminate surfaces of buildings and furnishings etc.  Quick
>review of the various departments of health reveal that standards
>range from 1% to full concentration

The information I have from Health Canada, via colleagues at CCI, is the
following:

    0.5% bleach, i.e. 1 litre of 5% sodium hypochlorite to 9 litres
    of water = 10 litres; or 250 ml of the same in 2.25 litres of
    water = 2.5 litres, depending whether you want a small amount or
    a larger quantity.  They also say to allow 15 minutes  for
    disinfection and leave to dry.

This recipe is recommended both by Health Canada and the World
Health Organization.

David Tremain
Conservator, Preventive Conservation Services
Canadian Conservation Institute
1030 Innes Road
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0M5
613-998-3721