Subject: Thermoluminescence and X-ray radiography

Thermoluminescence and X-ray radiography

From: W. T. Chase <tchase4921>
Date: Saturday, April 28, 2001
Robert B. Faltermeier <robert_b_f [at] yahoo__com> writes

>Does anyone have experience with TL testing of X-ray'd material, or
>can suggest a good reading list.

X-radiography can affect the TL date.  In the case of bronze objects
with clay cores, I remember Stuart Fleming saying that one normal
radiograph adds about 5 years.  The problem can be more severe with
some particular types of cores.  I would suggest sending the
laboratory that is doing the TL dating a detailed account of the
radiography with exposures.  In addition, one should try to sample
before radiography or without doing too many radiographs before
sampling.  One radiograph in the right direction is often sufficient
to define the core's position and the wall thicknesses around it, so
that sampling can proceed with some confidence.  A more complete
radiographic study can be completed after the sampling.

It would be nice to hear more from professional TL laboratories on
this question.

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 1, 2001