Subject: Air fresheners and incense

Air fresheners and incense

From: Terry Schaeffer <terrys>
Date: Friday, April 27, 2001
Carol Brynjolfson <carolb [at] vanmuseum__bc__ca>

>We will be exhibiting a travelling show next month and have just
>learned that it uses spray air fresheners (Glade?) to provide clues
>to visitors in two separate areas.  The use of the scent is said to
>be integral to the exhibit.  The air freshener is lavishly sprayed
>onto fabric, at the beginning of each day.  Spraying smaller amounts
>at more frequent intervals is apparently difficult without being
>caught in the act by visitors.  In addition, they would like to burn
>incense ...

When making decisions regarding extensive use of these products in
museum galleries and library study areas, please consider not only
the possible effects on the collections, but also the possible
effects on visitors allergic to perfumes.  People with these
allergies would have to avoid galleries where spraying takes place,
and would be unable to use collections in these libraries.

Terry Schaeffer

                  Distributed: Friday, April 27, 2001