Subject: Cornelis de Wael

Cornelis de Wael

From: Richard Pelter <pelter>
Date: Friday, April 20, 2001
Cornelis de Wael was a Flemish painter who lived, worked, and ran a
large studio in Genoa, Italy, from c. 1613 to c.1656.  There he
founded the Cenacolo Fiammingo where he trained many young painters.
The circle of expatriate Flemings included his friend Anthony van
Dyck who shared Cornelis' studio during the 1620's.  Cornelis
received commissions from Italian churches but is best known for his
military scenes, harbour views, and 'bambocciante'/low life
subjects.  He often collaborated with other artists (including his
brother Lucas who was a landscape painter) filling in the action and
small figures within a specific scene.

Does anyone have /or know someone somewhere who might have any
technical information on a work or works by Cornelis de Wael.  Or
perhaps someone somewhere is intending to undertake the examination
and technical study of a De Wael?  I would be very interested to get
in contact as soon as possible.  I am particularly interested in
x-radiography of any small figures by De Wael and am currently
studying a work for which I am keen to find some comparative
material.

Kiffy Stainer-Hutchins
Senior Paintings Conservator
International Fine Art Conservation Studios
Bristol
UK

                  Distributed: Monday, April 23, 2001