Subject: Mummy portraits

Mummy portraits

From: Steven Prins <sprins1102>
Date: Monday, April 23, 2001
I have received what appears to be a Roman-Egyptian mummy portrait
for examination and evaluation for treatment.  I am seeking
information regarding their material composition, i.e. wooden
support, media and pigments, and techniques of execution.  I would
appreciate any references to published analyses as well as personal
communications based on experience with such materials.  I am also
interested in identifying collections of similar pieces that might
have accumulated analytical data from their holdings.  Thank you.

Steven Prins
Conservator of Paintings
Santa Fe, NM, USA

                  Distributed: Monday, April 23, 2001