Subject: SCMRE

SCMRE

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp>
Date: Friday, April 20, 2001
Regarding the closure of SCMRE, I do not feel the same sympathy nor
concern that Ed McManus relates (DistList Inst. 14:55). Yes,
"traditionally the Smithsonian Institution has been recognized as a
promoter of and an ally to the conservation profession."  But over
the years, there have also been numerous changes from tradition.  In
my 12 years at the Smithsonian, I felt the directional changes
within the CAL and its transmogrification to SCMRE were not entirely
for the better.  I do not know the entire history of the
organization, and although there has been some stellar individual
research and training done there, the elimination of analytical
support for its own Museums certainly isolated SCMRE within its own
institution.  The controversial "revised environmental control
recommendations" (reported in numerous DistLists postings several
years ago) further polarized the organization, and ended with
considerable embroilment and enmity within SCMRE (as well as a very
costly legal settlement).

There is more to this story than we are being told, that is for
sure.

Lambertus van Zelst cites the closing as a result of the "need to
reallocate financial resources to higher priority activities", but
is that Lawrence Small's complete justification? I think not.

I seriously doubt that a phoenix will arise from its ashes, but I do
hope that many of the talented staff from this institution will
continue their contributions to the field, and as Bert concluded,
"that, under different circumstances, we will have an opportunity to
work together with you again."

Stephen Koob
Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass