Subject: Security

Security

From: Ko de van Watering <ko.vandewatering>
Date: Wednesday, April 18, 2001
Recently we had a case of theft of precious maps from books in our
rare book collection. This has caused curators and library staff to
start looking desperately for means of safeguarding the books in the
special collections reading room.

Someone has suggested to start weighing the books before and after
(use). Is this a viable option and does anybody really employ this
system? I was told that the British Library uses such a system but I
have been unable to get any information on this. I still would
prefer checking the books carefully before and after use.

Ko van de Watering
Koninklijke Bibliotheek
Sectie Conservering
Prins Willem-Alexanderhof 5