Subject: Polyester sleeves

Polyester sleeves

From: Michelle Visser <lell_2000>
Date: Tuesday, April 10, 2001
I work in the Special Collections department of a university library
where, because of limited staff, time, and money, the preservation
of our medieval manuscripts is usually limited to slipping them into
mylar sleeves.

Someone recently suggested to us that static electricity from the
mylar may contribute to the deterioration of the manuscripts by
causing the ink to flake off. I haven't seen any evidence of this
but was wondering if it was something we should be concerned about.

Michelle Visser
Special Collections
University of Colorado at Boulder

                  Distributed: Friday, April 13, 2001