Subject: Photocopying and scanning

Photocopying and scanning

From: Sharon Connell <libsac>
Date: Monday, April 9, 2001
Our contract for copying machines is up for renewal so it seems like
a good time to look at instituting 'book friendly' copiers for both
public and staff use in our university's libraries. Since the topic
was last discussed on the List in 1998, I wondered if anyone had any
comments on state of the art copiers for bound material.

    *   Are there any alternatives to the Selectec BookMaster and
        Xerox BookMark?

    *   Any comments on the use of edge copiers for rare/special
        collections books as it looks like the Minolta and Zeutschel
        scanners are out with the budget. Is the choice really this
        limited??

    *   Does anyone have experience of operating the Selectec 'Book
        Edge Scanner'?

    *   Has anyone measured the reduction in damage to materials as
        a result of employing 'book friendly' copiers?

Sharon Connell
Conservation Officer
Brotherton Library
University of Leeds