Subject: Fluorescent tubes

Fluorescent tubes

From: Ramona Duncan-Huse <rduncan>
Date: Wednesday, April 4, 2001
Peter Krantz <bkfndrs [at] ozemail__com__au> writes

>We are currently building a workshop for the restoration of books
>and paper objects. We require the appropriate fluorescent tubes
>which minimize UV release.
>
>We have researched a number of suppliers.  Some of the tubes come
>with moulded UV absorbent plastic sleeves, whilst others are just
>the tubes which purportedly emit low UV....

Thanks to our lighting designer, our new lab has very even indirect
lighting from fluorescent fixtures, but they do not permit use of
the usual moulded plastic sleeves. The UV measured 70. We decided to
remove the ceiling tiles and replace them with tiles that have a
coating of titanium white.  The light bounces off the titanium
coating and all UV is absorbed. The UV level now measures 0. If this
seems reasonable, you might want to consider this from the beginning
of the project.

Because we replaced tile that was already installed (and it was
considered a change order) it was pricey, but this was much less
expensive than replacing the fixtures and bulbs.  In our former
location we always had trouble with the moulded sleeves becoming
brittle and breaking over time, and our maintenance men sometimes
just threw away both the moulded plastic and the lighter weight film
sleeves without our knowledge.  Now we are pretty comfortable,
knowing anyone can change a light bulb and it will not affect our UV
reading.  I am unaware that this affects our color rendering at all.
it reduces our light level to a certain extent, but we also use task
lighting.

Ramona Duncan-Huse
Head of Conservation
Indiana Historical Society