Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Richard Aitken <richard>
Date: Wednesday, April 4, 2001
Recently there have been a couple of queries regarding mould after
contamination so I mailed this correspondence and thought it may be
of interest to the DistList

Once the mould is brushed, cleaned of the once mould infested
objects they need to be dry, so air drying is recommended. Mould
spores are not killed off, the spores are in the air we breath
waiting for the right environment to attach them selves too, so the
storage area has to be dry, clean and not too warm. Have plenty of
room for air to move around do not have items tight against walls.

The new recommendations for B.S. 5454 storage and exhibition are
12-16 deg C for items not looked at often, 16-19 deg. C for items
looked at regularly with an RH ( relative humidity ) of around
45-60% RH. These recommendations are for paper and parchment
materials so the figures for wood and metal objects may vary
slightly.

Yours sincerely
Mr R.D.Aitken
Archive Conservator