Subject: Sintra

Sintra

From: Marie-Noel Challan Belval <mnchallan>
Date: Friday, April 6, 2001
Angeletta Leggio <angeletta.leggio [at] ngv__vic__gov__au> writes

>A Type C photograph recently came into the collection which was
>bonded to a PVC board known as 'Sintra'. Has anyone had any
>experience with this material? I am also interested in knowing how
>common this material is as a mounting material for contemporary
>works.

The first time I saw it at our museum was in 1996.  An artist had a
series of silver prints laminated on this material. To this time, the
works have not visually changed.

Sintra is used commercially. In this case, the artist did not want
to have any traditional frame neither a sheet of glass in front of
hers photographs. The laminated photographs were held to the wall
with exhibition L pins. She choose Sintra also because it's light,
does not warp and the cost is low. (Technical information on this
product was easily obtained from the distributor).

At that time, a photograph conservator suggested to put a buffer
between the photograph and the Sintra support and recommended to use
a cold fusion tissue.

Marie-Nokl Challan Belval
Conservator, Musie d'art contemporain de Montreal, Quebec, Canada

                   Distributed: Friday, April 6, 2001