Subject: Survey on safety training

Survey on safety training

From: Catharine Hawks <cahawks>
Date: Sunday, March 25, 2001
Survey of Museum Health and Safety Education Needs for Museum and
Safety Professionals, and Students in Museum-Related Programs

    author.

Safety issues have become increasingly common in museums and other
collecting organizations. To understand the range of concerns and
the potential need for educational opportunities to address safety
in museum environments, we would appreciate the assistance of those
who face museum health and safety issues in their work. This
questionnaire is brief, designed to be confidential, and can be
completed in less than 5 minutes.

The questionnaire can be returned electronically by cutting and
pasting it into an email addressed to <cahawks [at] aol__com> or to
<eohdfg [at] gwumc__edu>

Please place an 'x' before your answer(s) to each question.

1.  My current job in the museum field is (please mark all that
    apply):

__  administrator
__  curator
__  conservator
__  collection manager
__  technician/preparator
__  educator
__  exhibit designer or fabricator
__  health and safety professional with responsibility for museum
    environments

__  student in museum program
__  consultant (please specify type):
__  other:

2.  The highest level of educational degree(s) I hold is/are:

__  AA
__  BA/BS
__  Master Museum Science/Studies
__  MS/MA in museum-related academic field
__  MPH
__  PhD
__  MD
__  Nursing degree
__  Professional Certification (CIH, CSP, COHN)
__  Other ______________________

3.  If there were a museum health and safety track at George
    Washington University, I would be interested in (check as many
    as apply)

__  continuing education classes for museum professionals only
__  continuing education classes/certification maintenance for
    museum and conservation professionals in conjunction with
    occupational health professionals
__  masters degree with a joint focus on museum science and
    occupational/public health
__  MPH with a focus on museum industrial
    hygiene/occupational/environmental health
__  3 credit-hour graduate-level course
__  1 credit-hour special topics graduate-level course
__  professional training on environmental/occupational health as an
    adjunct to national meetings for museum and conservation
    professionals
__  training focused on pesticides and preservatives relative to
    NAGPRA
__  other:

4.  I would like to have continuing educational training on the
    following topics (indicate as many as apply)

__  museum occupational safety and environmental health program
    management
__  museum occupational safety and health laws and policy
__  occupational safety including construction, electrical, rescue,
    fire, noise, ergonomics
__  indoor air quality, including asbestos, lead, radiation safety,
    chemical handling
__  management of museum occupational/environmental health clinics
__  training in hazardous waste, hazard communication, and
    environmental engineering
__  basics of public health: epidemiology, children's health,
    biostatistics, and injury prevention
__  toxicology and occupational medicine for pesticides
__  industrial hygiene and museum hazardous exposure assessment
__  computer and web-based skills relevant to museum occupational
    safety and health practice
__  emergency preparedness and response
__  silica, other museum workplace dust exposures
__  personal protective equipment selection, including respirator
    training and fit-testing
__  biohazards and temperature extremes (including diving safety)
__  exposure monitoring, instrumentation and sampling techniques;
    risk assessment principles
__  other:

5.  My employer is (check all that are applicable):

__  museum
__  university
__  governmental agency; specify type:
__  tribal organization
__  not-for-profit organization
__  for-profit organization/business
__  self
__  other:

6.  My employer would be interested in sending me to (check all that
    apply):

__  degree program
__  continuing education program
__  certificate program
__  employer does not support staff training
__  not sure about my employer's position

7.  I have ___ [#] colleagues who might be interested in continuing
    education offerings who will not see this survey.

    Please send additional information to:

8.  I would like to teach a class museum health and safety.
    __ Yes   __ No

If yes, in what field/topics:
(email Address for follow-up):

9.  I have attended
__  [#] of formal continuing education classes in the past 24 months
__  [#] of informal professional development workshops/courses in
    the past 24 months

Thank you very much for your reply,

Catharine Hawks, Conservator
Collections Care Internship Coordinator
Museum Studies Program
The George Washington University
2035 F Street NW
Washington DC 20052 USA
703-876-9272 or 202-994-7034

David F. Goldsmith, MSPH, PhD
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health
The George Washington University
2300 K Street NW, Suite 201
Washington DC 20037 USA
202-994-1734