Subject: Fire damaged paintings

Fire damaged paintings

From: Dennis A. Baltuskonis <dbaltusk>
Date: Thursday, March 29, 2001
Does anyone know of any research which has been published on general
cleaning treatments for fire damaged, heat scorched, soot covered
paintings? Over the past ten years I've treated numerous paintings
which 'appear' to have minor damage, but are extremely problematic
to even clean.  The results I've had are so unpredictable, (even
from top to bottom, or side to side of the same painting),  that it
is almost impossible to predict beforehand.  I was thinking that
somewhere, someone has probably performed systematic research on the
subject and could, at least model, what happens to a typical
painting as it is exposed to heat-soot-and/or fire.  Please advise.

    Dennis Baltuskonis
    Paintings conservator in private practice
    San Antonio, TX  78213-3024

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 3, 2001