Subject: Security strips

Security strips

From: Hilda Abreu Utermohlen <hilda>
Date: Tuesday, April 3, 2001
The planning of the new Centro Cultural Eduardo Leon Jimenes, in
Santiago, Dominican Republic, is underway. It will include
collections related to the Dominican culture, such as: prehispanic
archaeological collection (ceramics, stone, shell, wood, and bone),
archaeological collection of underwater artifacts, ethnographic
collection, contemporary fine art collection (paintings, sculpture,
works on paper), archival collection (maps, documents and books,
photographs, slides), and magnetic media (audio and videotapes).

The security consultant for our institution is proposing placing
electronic tags on the collections, in order to protect them from
theft. We are aware that there are a many kinds of objects which,
due to their type cannot be safely tagged without damaging them or
promoting future damage. We would like to hear from anyone who has
had experience on the types of artifacts that can be safely tagged
in some way for electronic protection, and of alternative means of
theft protection.

Hilda Abreu Utermohlen
Conservation Consultant
Proyecto Centro Cultural Eduardo Leon Jimenes
Santiago, Dominican Republic
809-537-3300
Fax: 809-537-2580

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 3, 2001