Subject: Lighting

Lighting

From: Holly Chase <hchase>
Date: Friday, March 23, 2001
Please excuse me for asking such a simple question on the
Conservation DistList. I have been trying to find specific answers
to what is the proper amount of lighting for oil paintings and
haven't been able to come up with anything specific. I am a
registrar working with our lighting staff to determine what is the
proper foot candles for our permanent exhibit. We have no in-house
conservator to advise us.

 The exhibit is lit by both halogen and incandescent lights and the
works range from oils on canvas, on board, and on panel. Our light
currently ranges from 10-25 foot candles which varies from piece to
piece. I don't understand the reason for the variety of light
intensities. Is there a difference between lighting an oil on canvas
verses an oil on board, etc? As of yet we don't have a UV meter but
hope to get approval to purchase one by next month. Could anyone
advise us what would be a safe foot candle range for oils? We have
had the policy of lighting our works on paper (watercolors, prints,
and photographs) within the range of 5-8 foot candles and only
exhibiting them for a maximum of 5 months, but have had no policy
for oils.

Holly Chase
Assistant Registrar
#120 Museum of Art, Brigham Young University
North Campus Drive
Provo, Utah   84602-1400
USA
801-378-8248