Subject: Iron and steel

Iron and steel

From: Jerry Shiner <keepsafe>
Date: Saturday, March 24, 2001
Steph Yasick <syasick [at] hotmail__com> writes

>I am inquiring about how to preserve iron and steel. I was given a
>project which is to conserve metal from a historic site so that I
>might understand more about conservation. I have two pieces to
>conserve.

Iron and other metals may benefit from storage in an oxygen-free
environment created by using a transparent barrier film envelope (eg
Escal film) and an oxygen scavenger (Mitsubishi's RP--A type
scavenger will reduce both oxygen and moisture levels in a sealed
container to extremely low levels). More information and links are
available at <URL:http://www.gowncare.com/keepsafe>

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems
Micro-climate and Oxygen-free storage for Professional Conservators
800-683-4696
Fax: 416-703-5991

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 28, 2001