Subject: Renovating exhibit space

Renovating exhibit space

From: Georgianne Bowman <ggbowman>
Date: Friday, March 16, 2001
We are a small historical society which has recently acquired a
small museum space.  The building is in need of renovation.  We are
aware that we need temperature and humidity control and this will be
dealt with in the remodeling.  Any advice regarding wall finishes
would be most welcome.

We have received an offer to construct exhibit cabinets by the local
high school advanced cabinetry independent study students.  What
type of finish is safe if the cabinets are used for paper, fabric,
and leather artifacts? I assume glass shelves are appropriate for
low cabinets.  But some of our members feel plexiglass is more
appropriate.  What is the proper safe-storage material?

Any other comments or advice would be most welcome as we would like
to do things right the first time.

Georgianne Bowman, Secretary
North Collins (NY) Historical Society

                  Distributed: Friday, March 23, 2001