Subject: Survey on hangers for textile collections

Survey on hangers for textile collections

From: Jerry Shiner <keepsafe>
Date: Monday, March 12, 2001
    **** Moderator's comments: Please respond directly to
    bmoore [at] strongmuseum__org.

Please help with our 3 minute survey on hangers for textile
collections:

Barbara Moore and I have been considering designing affordable and
structurally correct hangers suitable for hanging historic costume
collections. To this end I have been talking to various hanger
manufacturers who own moulds capable of producing hangers made of
polypropylene. (There are a surprising number of entrepreneurs out
there willing to build a better mousetrap/hanger.)

We are interested in your opinions of the optimum sizes and shapes
for a hanger (or set of hangers). A minute (or three) of your time
in filling out the form below would be greatly appreciated. Just cut
and paste the questions below into a new email, include your
comments in the text, and send it to: bmoore [at] strongmuseum__org The
combined knowledge and experience of the group will be an incredible
asset in making an inexpensive and truly useful storage device.

Given that we could provide you with a strong polypropylene hanger
(or set of hangers):

    *   Should the hanger mimic shoulder curvature or be straight?
    *   Would you like a choice of both?
    *   How wide from shoulder to shoulder would it be?
    *   How wide across the shoulders would it be?
    *   Would you like a special skirt/pants hanger available as
        well? What size?
    *   If you are suggesting multiple sizes (eg Small, Large), in
        what ratio?
    *   How long should the hanger's hook be (from the highest point
        at top of curve to hanger body)
    *   How much time are you willing to spend to customize the
        hanger (padding, etc.)
    *   Would you like a simple padded cover available for the
        hanger?
    *   How thick would you like the padding to be?
    *   How much would you expect to have to spend for a hanger and
        archival quality padding?
    *   How much would you be prepared to spend for a hanger and
        archival quality padding?
    *   What accessories would you need to attach to the hanger (if
        any)?
    *   Would space efficiency affect your choice of hanger (hangers
        that mimic shoulder curvature take up more rack space.)
    *   How many hangers might you buy each year?

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Barbara Moore
Jerry Shiner

                  Distributed: Friday, March 23, 2001