Subject: Soda blasting

Soda blasting

From: Gerron Hite <gerron.hite>
Date: Wednesday, March 21, 2001
I am the Cemetery Preservation Coordinator for the Texas Historical
Commission in Austin, Texas. My question involves the use of soda
blasting to clean gravestones.

I am aware of at least one contractor, with a construction
background, in the state using this technique to clear stones. The
historic gravestones are usually made of limestone and marble. We
are very much against this technique as it results in the loss of
historic fabric. However, I have not been able to find any published
articles or studies concerning this cleaning technique to argue my
case.

The contractor has provided me with several articles written by
companies that make machinery and provide the soda that indicate
this is the proper way to clean stone. He has been hired by private
individuals so we do not have review authority of this work but want
find documentation to take a written stand on this method of
cleaning. The National Park Service has not addressed this issue in
writing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gerron S. Hite, RA, NCARB
Cemetery Preservation Coordinator
History Programs Division
Texas Historical Commission