Subject: Board shears

Board shears

From: Karen Dabney <kdabney>
Date: Friday, March 23, 2001
Sue Dunlap <sdunlap [at] acs__wooster__edu> writes

>I have been using a heavy duty paper cutter to cut board, and have
>developed tendonitis in my shoulder from the force I have to use to
>cut through binders board.  I know about Jacques board shears and
>would love to have one, but I need to research other options.  Are
>there other options out there?  What do the rest of you use?

For cutting board, Plexiglas and glass, my lab uses the Fletcher
3000, a wall-mounted cutter that works fairly similarly to a mat
cutter. It has a clamping arm to hold the material in place, and the
cutting head is moved by sliding it, so there's no jerking,
percussive motion. Everyone on staff uses the Fletcher and loves it.
I recommend it highly.

Karen Dabney, Paper Conservator
Commonwealth Conservation Center
Harrisburg, PA