Subject: Removing ink from vellum

Removing ink from vellum

From: Vernon Wiering <fiegelo>
Date: Thursday, February 22, 2001
Is there a safe way to remove pen writing from vellum? I am working
on a set of three 17th century vellum bindings which had two sets of
call number labels (one recent and one fabric hand-written label
that was pasted on) both of which I removed, and then to my chagrin
I found the call number written in pen, so this may give a hint as
to the type of pen used. I would appreciate any help.

Vernon P. Wiering
Dragonfly Design
1553 Orville SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49507