Subject: Vellum cloth

Vellum cloth

From: Emily O'Reilly <emily_gilbert>
Date: Wednesday, February 21, 2001
I'm working on some city plans carried out in ink, wash and pencil
on impregnated linen rolls, some as large as 3 metres. I've come
across a stamp on the back of the linen "By Her Majesty's Royal
letters Patent, The Vellum Cloth, Dowse Patent". I'm interested to
know if anyone else has had experience of working on this material
or could shed any light on it's manufacture. The plans have been
heavily used suffering from tears and losses, many with old repairs
of varying quality including pressure sensitive tape.

Emily O'Reilly
Conservator
State Records NSW, Australia

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 20, 2001