Subject: Recording hygrothermographs and dataloggers

Recording hygrothermographs and dataloggers

From: Merv Hutchinson <mhutchinson>
Date: Monday, February 26, 2001
Tom Dixon <tom.dixon [at] ngv__vic__gov__au> writes

>I would be grateful to hear from the list regarding positive and
>negative experiences of replacing recording hygrothermographs used
>for simultaneous monitoring of several large gallery spaces on a
>long term and continuous basis with newer technology.

I find that the recording hygrothermographs work well if they are
calibrated weekly and any discrepancies noted on the chart.   It may
be also worth noting for people who are unfamiliar with electronic
monitoring systems, that they also require calibrating.  I have
found that some of my older ones that have not been calibrated for
years read out as much as 16% RH

Merv Hutchinson
Exhibitions Conservator
Auckland Museum