Subject: Painted textiles

Painted textiles

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh>
Date: Wednesday, March 7, 2001
Sofia Carlsson <tuskaft [at] hotmail__com> writes

>I am a third year student in textile conservation, with a special
>interest in painted textiles (silk). As I am looking for
>barriers/shelters for painted and/or gilded areas during wet
>treatment, I would like to hear from others with experience of this.
>Most of interest would be any remarks on the use of Dodecane, as
>used in paper conservation. We have done some tests on fragile
>gilded areas, and any thoughts on the matter would be most
>appreciated.

I have used ethyl cellulose as a barrier material against liquid
water.  It can be applied in a variety of solvents and acts as a
weak consolidant for extremely deteriorated areas as well.  I have
tested it to protect embossed areas on paper that is to be submerged
as well.

B. Appelbaum

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 20, 2001