Subject: Polyester webbing

Polyester webbing

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Saturday, February 17, 2001
Dominique Cocuzza <cocuzzad [at] nmaicrc__si__edu> writes

>I am inquiring about heat activated polyester webbing previously
>sold through Archivart. It is now being produced through Bostik as a
>Sharnet product. The webbing is also available in polyolefin and
>EVA. We are considering using the webbing for storage mounts as a
>heat activated adhesive for bonding fabric to corrugated board. Has
>anyone had experience using these products or performed any testing
>to determine their long-term stability or off-gassing potential?

You might wish to consider a heat activated adhesive product called
Unsupported Archibond for bonding material to supportive corrugated
products.

Unsupported Archibond is an acrylic blended adhesive, so thin that
for logistical reasons it is applied to a release layer to aid use.
The product underwent very thorough testing in the UK and France
several years ago by the major Conservation Laboratories in order
that it could be used to coat tissue and nylon fibre materials for
use as laminating products for newspapers and printed matter.

The pure adhesive in Unsupported Archibond has also been effectively
used as a consolidant for paper material undergoing aqueous
treatment, and is removable with a number of common spirit based
solvents used in conservation.

Full technical specifications and samples are available on request
from our plants in Springfield, Virginia, USA and here in Cowley,
Oxford, England.

Mark G. Vine
Conservation Resources (UK) Ltd
Fax: +44 1865 747035

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 21, 2001