Subject: Karibari

Karibari

From: Jack C. Thompson <tcl>
Date: Saturday, February 17, 2001
Valinda Carroll <vcarroll [at] cwf__org> writes

>We are planning to build a karibari drying board for our paper lab.
>We have found someone to make the framework with the traditional
>joinery.  We are currently looking for a source for kakishibu, the
>fermented persimmon coating.  Does anyone know of a U.S. supplier?
>Is it feasible to substitute a pre-made persimmon-coated paper?

I am not aware of a US supplier, but I have used drying boards for
over 20 years without it.

Once the panel has been covered with paper and dried, it may be
sprayed with a couple of light layers of an acrylic varnish, one
layer up and down; another across.

If you want to get closer to fermented persimmon juice (which can be
easily made) spray on a couple of layers of gelatin.  When that has
dried, spray on 3-4 coats of tannic acid, allowing each coat to dry
before applying the next layer.

Basically, all the persimmon juice accomplishes is tanning the
paper.

Before I learned to make traditional panels I used common sheet
rock, with acrylic varnish sprayed on, and they worked just fine,
but were heavier to move around the lab.  And they're alkaline....

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, OR  97217
503-735-3942  (voice/fax)

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 21, 2001