Subject: Coins adhered to wood

Coins adhered to wood

From: Tim Campbell <tcmail>
Date: Wednesday, February 14, 2001
    **** Moderator's comments: This query comes from a person who is
    not on the DistList and will not see any responses that are
    posted here.  Please respond directly to sender and if of
    general interest post it here as well

The following appeared on Museum-L and is reproduced here without
the knowledge or consent of the author.

    Date: 13 Feb 2001
    From: Brent Stauffer <philliephanatic [at] hotmail__com>

    I work for the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research
    Center, and one of my co-workers has run into a problem that I
    am hoping some of you can help us solve.

    While taking apart some broken shadowboxes, we ran into some
    papal coins that were mounted on wooden pegs with what looks
    like rubber cement.  We have managed to get the pegs off the
    shadowboxes, but we can't get them off of the coins.  We thought
    about just trying to pry the coins free, but many of them have
    engraving under the glue, and we don't want to destroy that.  We
    also don't want to scratch the surface of the coins.  If anyone
    has any suggestions on how to remove the glue and the wooden
    pegs without damaging the coins it will be greatly appreciated.

    Brent Stauffer
    Archives Technician

                 Distributed: Friday, February 16, 2001