Subject: Steamer trunk

Steamer trunk

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Thursday, February 15, 2001
Carol Wickenhiser-Schaudt <schaudt [at] neosoft__com>

>I've been asked to advise on the restoration of an old steamer trunk
>(approximately 32 inches wide, 32 inches tall and 62 inches long)
>constructed out of painted dark green canvas over wood (oak or ash),
>with iron bands.  The glue securing the fabric lining has been
>partly eaten away by termites. The person would like to glue a new
>fabric lining over the old fabric.  He would like to know if there
>is a reversible adhesive that he could use that would not further
>damage the original fabric underneath.
>
>Also, do you have any recommendations for an adhesive to use to
>secure the original fabric?

You might wish to consider the use of something like Texicryl 13/002
which has I understand been used most effectively to adhere
exhibition fabrics to the likes of mdf board.

We will be happy to provide interested parties with a data sheet,
MSDS and small sample of this product.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources (UK) Ltd
+44 1865 747755