Subject: Consolidation of stone

Consolidation of stone

From: Piero Tiano <tiano>
Date: Thursday, February 15, 2001
Jim Mann <jmann [at] amdel__com> writes

>I am looking for guidance on a method of determining the depth of
>penetration of consolidants into building stone (on site) without
>causing damage such as by coring.

The EC funded project (HARDROCK) ended last year has developed and
validate a portable quasi-not destructive system based on a
micro-drilling device which is able to determine the drilling
resistance of a monumental stone when a hole (diameter 5 mm) with
controlled operative conditions is made into. We suggest to perform
at least 3 holes in treated part and confronting the average curve
with that ones obtained for 3 holes in a not treated part of the
same stone material. The system calculates automatically  the curve
difference among the treated and not treated determinations giving
the depth of penetration of the consolidating product and the
profile of the increase in the mechanical ( hardness)
characteristics of the consolidated layer.

The results of the project have been diffused during a Workshop
DRILLMORE held in Munich during last March 2000.

More info can be found at
<URL:http://www.area.fi.cnr.it/drillmore/announcement.htm>

Piero Tiano

                 Distributed: Friday, February 16, 2001