Subject: Brass

Brass

From: Carolyn Fuss <csf2>
Date: Friday, February 9, 2001
    **** Moderator's comments: This query comes from a person who is
    not on the DistList and will not see any responses that are
    posted here.  Please respond directly to sender and if of
    general interest post it here as well

I'm submitting this inquiry as a "layperson" who hopes to obtain
some helpful advice from the professionals on this list. I've just
recently bought a Victorian full-size brass bed (made of brass
wrapped around iron) and had it polished but not lacquered.  Now it
is bright and shiny, but I would like it to mellow in color over
time and regain some of the patina it has lost.  What do you
recommend as the best way for me to achieve this?

I've heard that a wax finish would protect the brass yet let it
tarnish slowly over time, and that the bed could then be re-waxed
every few months or so.  If this is a good approach, should I wax
the bed immediately or let it begin to tarnish before waxing it?
Also, do you recommend Renaissance wax or Butcher's wax or any other
brand, and could you offer any hints on the best way to apply the
wax?  (By the way, what is the difference in chemical composition
and properties between Renaissance and Butcher's wax?)

If waxing is not the best way to eventually achieve an "antique
brass finish," what else would you recommend that I could do myself
fairly easily?

Has anyone had any experience using MAAS polish, Nevr-Dull, or Brass
Renew on brass? Thanks very much for any assistance you can provide,

Carolyn

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 14, 2001