Subject: Radon in storage area

Radon in storage area

From: Sue Rees <sue.rees>
Date: Thursday, February 8, 2001
We may soon be having to move an outstore of large industrial
objects to another store where levels of radon-222 gas have been
measured at up to 370 bequerels per cubic metre. The U.K. workplace
limit before action has to be taken is 400 bequerels per cubic
metre. NRPB (National Radiological Protection Board) who analysed
the readings have advised us, via our environmental health
department, that there is no need for additional radon controls.

Fortunately at present, staff will not spend much time at these
stores, but there is still concern over the risk to human health. I
have suggested continued monitoring in the future to keep an eye on
the gas levels. Choosing another store is not an option
unfortunately. I would be interested to know if anyone has
encountered a similar situation, or has any views, suggestions to
share.

Susan Rees
Antiquities Conservator
Dundee Arts & Heritage
Dundee
Scotland
+44 1382 432065
Fax: +44 1382 432052

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 14, 2001