Subject: Report on collaboration for mass deacidification

Report on collaboration for mass deacidification

From: Jonathan Rhys-Lewis <jonathan>
Date: Monday, February 12, 2001
The results of a feasibility study on a collaborative approach to
mass deacidification as part of the national preservation strategy
for the cultural written heritage in the United Kingdom and Ireland.

Launch Tuesday March 6th 2001
10:30 a.m.

The project management Steering Group are pleased to announce the
forthcoming launch of the project report and recommendations.

The launch presentation will explore this very real threat to our
written heritage, outline the proposed solutions and will further
include a panel discussion.

This important and high profile event will be held at the British
Library Conference Centre, within the new British Library complex,
on the Euston Road, London, UK. The launch will commence at 10:30
a.m. and is followed by a buffet lunch at 12.30 p.m.

The launch is by invitation but anyone who wishes to attend may
contact the project consultant, Jonathan Rhys-Lewis, for details.
Additional copies of the report will be available at this event and
at <URL:http://www.bl.uk/concord>

Mark Mainwaring, Project Manager, and Director of Administration and
Technical Services, National Library of Wales:

   "The National Library of Wales has been delighted to play a part
    in facilitating the first UK wide collaborative exercise to
    address the issue of deterioration of our national heritage due
    to the acid content of paper. The insidious effect of poor
    quality production over many years will be seen increasingly in
    every corner of our land. It will cross the boundaries between
    local and national institutions, between County Archives and
    Libraries, between Museum stores and the valued private
    collections of any individual reading these words. The scale of
    the challenge in terms of the problem and our necessary response
    is daunting. It requires a coherent, structured national
    response and our work to date through preparation of this report
    should be seen as a positive springboard for even greater
    efforts in the future."

Please contact

    Jonathan Rhys-Lewis
    Project Consultant
    <jonathan [at] rhys-lewis__freeserve__co__uk>
    +44 1206 515498 (phone/fax)

Jonathan Rhys-Lewis
Archive Preservation Consultant
161 Maldon Road
Colchester
Essex CO3 3BL
+44 1206 515498 (phone/fax)

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 14, 2001