Subject: Leather dressing

Leather dressing

From: Soren Ibsen <soren.ibsen>
Date: Thursday, February 8, 2001
Joe Spoor <kmfdm1 [at] prodigy__net> writes

>... I also would appreciate any direction in
>finding good reading material on leather preservation; it is hard to
>find or come by.

A publication that has meant a lot to me is Leather Conservation
News. Here you also will find references to other literature about
leather conservation.  The first issue came in 1983 and the last one
in 1998. Perhaps you can rent them in a library, or contact the
editor Paul S. Storch <paul.storch [at] mnhs__org>.  Other good references
in the conservation of leather have I got from Central Laboratorium
in Amsterdam, School of Conservation in Copenhagen and Deutsches
Ledermuseum in Offenbach.

Of course you not should apply any liquid if not absolutely
necessary; perhaps you only need to to dryclean the books with a
vacuum cleaner? Further treatment would depend on how the leather
is. For very light leather I use CL-dressing after a recipe from
Central Laboratorium in Amsterdam, otherwise my favorite is DLM 4060
a leather balm and cleaning agent after a recipe from Deutsches
Ledermuseum in Offenbach.

Soren Ibsen
Book Conservator
University Library of Trondheim
N-7491  Trondheim.

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 14, 2001