Subject: Flame retardants

Flame retardants

From: Jackie Zak <jzak>
Date: Thursday, February 1, 2001
I am forwarding the following question for Mary Button Durell, an
artist in San Francisco. Thank you for any advice or suggestions you
are willing to provide.

    Can anyone refer me to a source of information on the effects of
    fire retardants on paper and/or the chemical composition of
    common fire retardants?

    I make large sculptures using tracing paper and wheat paste and
    was asked by an architect, who's interested in placing my work
    in a public place, if there was a way to make the pieces
    nonflammable. My concerns are with the effects of fire retardant
    chemicals on tracing paper over time.

Jackie Zak
Information and Communications
Getty Conservation Institute