Subject: Feather and static electricity

Feather and static electricity

From: Sean Harrison <seanh>
Date: Monday, February 5, 2001
We have a feather boa on display in a 6" deep Plexiglas case with
medite substrate.  Obviously there is static electricity causing
random boa feathers to stand up and even wave when the case is
cleaned.  We have applied anti-static wipes and plexi sprays to the
exterior and interior surfaces of the case, but this has not changed
the unintentionally "interactive" and potentially damaging quality
of this display.  The climate conditions are 70 deg. F and 40-50% RH
in a very large room.

What recommendations could be made to mitigate the static charge in
this display, and allow continued routine dusting?

Sean Harrison
Preparator
Experience Music Project
206-262-3130