Subject: Moving a laboratory

Moving a laboratory

From: Rosemary Fallon <fallonr>
Date: Wednesday, January 31, 2001
The conservation lab of the National Portrait Gallery and the
Smithsonian American Art Museum will be moving across town because
our building is about to be renovated. Can anyone who has been
through such a move offer tips on the moving of solvents? Did you
contract a company with this kind of expertise? Are there movers who
specialize in moving laboratories? We do have some specialized
contractors coming in to move our sensitive equipment that needs to
be disassembled to be moved safest, but what about everything else?

Rosemary Fallon
Paper Conservator
National Portrait Gallery
Smithsonian Institution