Subject: Mold on carpet

Mold on carpet

From: Julian Stam <stam>
Date: Tuesday, January 30, 2001
Frisina Ann <ann.frisina [at] mnhs__org> writes

>Jessica Fletcher <jfletcher [at] denverartmuseum__org> writes
>
>>We recently experienced minor flooding under the floor carpets in
>>the elevator lobby of one of our galleries.  As a result, mildew is
>>starting to grow.
>    Raise the heat if possible which will lower humidity.

One word of warning about the suggestions for carpet mold removal.
It was stated, "Raise the heat if possible which will lower
humidity," but the temperature should *not* be raised while the
humidity is still high or more growth will be facilitated.
Temperatures can be used to manipulate humidity, and many air
handling systems are designed to use temperature cycles to maintain
humidity levels, but heat should not be used when humidity is high
and mold is (or has been) present.

Julian Stam
617-552-1404
Boston College
Preservation Manager, Thomas P. O'Neill Library
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467-3810
Fax: 552-0599

                 Distributed: Monday, February 5, 2001