Subject: Nonionic detergents

Nonionic detergents

From: Smith Shelly <ssmith>
Date: Thursday, January 25, 2001
Has anyone had any experience using non-ionic detergents, such as
Triton XL-80N (the environmentally safer version of Triton X-100),
in the aqueous treatment of paper?  I know these and similar
surfactants are used in the conservation treatment of textiles, and
I'm wondering what kind of issues I should consider in attempting to
use a non-ionic detergent to aqueously remove fatty compounds from
paper.

Shelly Smith
Book Conservator
The Huntington Library