Subject: Special collections materials in general stacks

Special collections materials in general stacks

From: Janet Gertz <gertz>
Date: Thursday, January 25, 2001
In preparation for an ALA Rare Books & Manuscripts Section/RBMS
Pre-Conference seminar (Thursday, June 14, 2001), we are soliciting
copies of guidelines, decision-making forms, web sites(?), and other
documents used by academic libraries/repositories for the
identification and transfer of materials located in the general
library stacks to special collections.

Some of you may recall that this seminar was first offered at the
1996 RBMS Pre-Conference.  My seminar co-presenter, Charlotte Brown,
Asst. Head of  Special Collections & University Archivist at UCLA,
and I are indebted to those institutions who submitted documents in
1996; the session was very well received.

Charlotte and I would like to assemble an updated packet of
guidelines and forms for distribution at the June 2001 RBMS
Pre-Conference seminar.

Please Note: as was the practice in 1996, for reasons of security
and confidentiality, submitted guidelines/forms will be redacted;
the institutions will remain anonymous.

Submissions may be emailed or U.S. mailed to Charlotte at the
address below.  Should you have questions or want additional
information, please feel free to call Charlotte.

    Charlotte B. Brown
    Assistant Head &
    UCLA University Archivist
    Dept. of Special Collections